Here's the thing: my boyfriend and I are that target demographic. But if you were to sit us down with him over dinner, I'm not really sure what we would talk about.
So let's break it down.
1. The economy. He and I might be able to talk finance. But then again, I doubt he's interested in notary signatures. We have jobs that aren't subsidized by the government and we're not looking for him to make jobs for us.
2. Foreign Policy. Ummm. I don't think either of us has strong feelings about Israel, we know people who were in Afghanistan and Iraq and I feel bad for Kate Middleton.
3. Social issues. We're pro-choice, pro-gay marriage and we live together but we're not married. So there's that. Also, we don't see anything wrong with stay-at-home Dads. Let's be honest, I don't think Ann Romney knows the first thing about having a job. I feel no sense of common ground with her.
4. Golfing. Yea, neither of us golf.
5. Religion? We're not really religious but we're not atheists, either. Sundays are mostly just allocated for sleeping in, watching the Steelers and doing laundry.
6. Income taxes. Well, we pay a higher percentage in income taxes than he does. So that would be awkward.
7. Vacation spots. We haven't been on vacation for more than a year now.
8. College. We both have college degrees. I've been thinking of going to business school so that might be a talking point. But neither of our majors were around when Romney was in school...
9. Obamacare. Obamacare is very important for me because of the pre-existing condition clause. I have epilepsy and the medicine for it will be very expensive if I am not covered. Like, 700$/mo. expensive. And Romney wants to repeal Obamacare. My boyfriend gets his health insurance through his labor union, a labor union that endorsed Obama.
10. Immigration. I speak Spanglish with one of my managers. I think the Dream Act was a good piece of legislation.
So this would be a pretty awkward dinner conversation. This might be one of the biggest problems for Romney, he just doesn't have much in common with his target demographic.